Genesis 37:1 – 36
Romans 8:18 – 39
Genesis 37:3–4 (NKJV)
3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age. Also he made him a tunic of many colors. 4 But when his brothers saw that their father loved him more than all his brothers, they hated him and could not speak peaceably to him.
Romans 8:28 (NKJV)
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
I The bad things in this Chapter
II All things for good
He that will watch providences will never lack providences to watch. — John Flavel
Providence has ordered that condition for you which is best for your eternal good. If you had more of the world than you have, your heads and hearts might not be able to manage it to your advantage. — John Flavel
Sometimes providences, like Hebrew letters, must be read backwards. — John Flavel
Outline of “All Things For Good” by Thomas Watson, published by Banner of Truth
THE BEST THINGS WORK FOR GOOD TO THE GODLY
1) The attributes of God
2) The promises of God
3) The mercies of God
4) The graces of the Spirit
5) The angels of God
6) The communion of Saints
7) The intercession of Christ
8) The prayers of Saints
THE WORST THINGS WORK FOR GOOD TO THE GODLY
1) The evil of affliction.
2) The evil of temptation.
3) The evil of desertion.
4) The evil of sin.
WHY ALL THINGS WORK FOR GOOD TO THE GODLY
1) The reason why all things work for good.
2) Inferences from this proposition.
OF LOVE TO GOD
1) The nature of love.
2) The ground of love.
3) The kinds of love.
4) The properties of love.
5) The degrees of love.
Use: A reproof to those who do not love God
THE TESTS OF LOVE TO GOD
AN EXHORTATION TO LOVE GOD
1) An exhortation to become lovers of God – twenty motives for loving God.
2) An exhortation to preserve your love to God.
3) An exhortation to increase your love to God.
1) A distinction about calling.
2) Our condition before we are called.
3) The means of our effectual calling.
4) The method God uses in calling sinners.
5) The properties of this effectual calling.
6) The end of effectual calling.
Use: An exhortation to make your calling sure.
EXHORTATIONS TO THEM WHO ARE CALLED
1) Admire God’s free grace.
2) Pity those who are not yet called.
3) Walk worthy of your high calling.
CONCERNING GOD’S PURPOSE
1) God’s purpose is the cause of salvation.
2) God’s purpose is the ground of assurance.